This trek is ideal for those passengers who really want to be far in the middle of nowhere with only nature surrounding them as they camp in an area that is scarcely seen by tourists. Huchuy Qosqo (small Cusco) is situated above the Valley of Urubamba and offers very spectacular views over the mountain range Cordillera de Vilcanota. This trek is also a great way for you to enjoy a shorter trek that still includes Machu Picchu and Inca trails (with Inca stairs that are better than the Inca Trail). You will have one night camping in the wilderness and then the very next night will be spent in the beautiful pueblo, Aguas Calientes
Day 1: Tambomachay to Pumamarca
At 06:00 am Early pick up from your hotels, private vehicle for 25 minutes to Tambomachay located at 3700 masl. (for our mid day we have a 8 Km of moderate walk with a gradual climbing of 450 meters ; 4-5 Hrs till the lunch place) we start our hike walking at the ancient Inca Trail used by Inca people to connect with the Sacred Valley, Pisac and probably to Machupicchu at the XV century. From this point you can observe panoramic views of Cusco traditional neiborhoods as Santa Ana, Santiago, Puquinetc, and the Valley of Qorao, at this high Andean level we observe llamas and alpacas eating the andean grass named Ichu, small cactus and some bromelias bushes locally known as Puyas. At the left side on the path we can see ancient Incas terraces used by farmers in order to gain more potatoes farmings areas, A gentle walking down to the trail as it curves sharply up-hill to reach a pass of near 4180 meters. Then we descend along the trail, you will see a beautifully green valleys stretching out as far as the eye can see, the trail takes us up over the second pass (4300 meters) and into high open country. Just reaching the top we can see the beautiful Lake Qoricocha (Golden Lake in Quechua) where we descend for 20 minutes to find our lunch spot , free time to rest.
After lunch and time for rest , we continue another 300 meter to climb in 3 Hrs walk in a normal pace to reach the highest point 4380 masl, from this top it is easy to see Chincheros and the lake of Piuray and some snow sacred mountains as Salcantay, Veronica, (2 passes) then a 1.5 Hrs downhill walk to Pucamamarca our camping place. Here, we set up camp and enjoy our supper underneath the great starry sky. This community is located at 3,980 masl nearby there few houses that belong to the farmers. (8- 9 horas 16 kilometers of moderate walk).
Meals: Lunch Dinner
Accommodation: Camping 4010 masl
Maximum Altitude: 4350masl
Minimum Altitude: 3700masl
Distance Travelled: 14 km
Approximate Walking Time: 6-7 hours
Day 2: HuchuyQosqo, Taucca, Chincheros ,Ollanta and train to AguasCalientes, Machupicchu.
Early wake up at 6:00 am, after breakfast we leave our campsite at 07:00 am (1 hour to walk to HuchuyQosqo) a soft walk to end the valley and we walk through a narrow canyon to see a recently restored trail with wooden bridges and some steps, a lot of of native trees and bushes , a panoramic views of Lamay Valley and Calca, the sacred river of the Incas, Willcamayo ; the walk is one hour to reach the Inca site of HuchuyQosqo, recently restored by archaeolists, located at 3450 mals from this point it is clear to see many beautiful mountains as Chicon, Pitusiray, Sawasiray, Waccaywilca and Veronica ancient Apus so respected and venerated by the locals which most of them are Incas- Quechuas descendents. We have a guided tour for 1.5 hours to visit and explore this interesting Inca complex. HuchuyQosqo was originally an administrative and military center as Pisaq, with many constructions around, Inca buildings with perfect fine stones work, graneries structures called Collcas to store and preserve food, because it was an important agricultural center to produce corn. By 10:00 am we continue our hike for nearly 3-hours of gradually climb to Taucca Pass 4400 masl. After reaching the top we start our last gentle descend for 1 hour until our lunch place from here it is possible also to see the Piuray Lake.
After lunch our private vehicle will transport us to Chincheros then to Ollantaytambo, at 16:30 pm we board our train to AguasCalientes. 2 hours of spectacular train ride with amazing views at both sides of the valleys with impressive snow capped mountains, several Inca constructions can be seen from your windows and the Urubamba river near the train. After we arrive to AguasCalientes our guide will take you to your Hostal where you are set for the night. There is an optional time to go to the hot springs to relax and good for muscles. At dinner time your guide will inform you all details about our plans for next morning to see Machupicchu and optimize your visit at this wonderful and marvel place found in 1911.
Please Note.- If some passenger get some altitude problems or found this hike very difficult, there is an option to walk down from HuchuyQosqo for 2 hours to Lamay in the Sacred Valley of the Incas and our vehicle will transport the group to Ollantaytambo to board a train to AguasCalientes.
Meals: Breakfast Lunch Dinner
Accommodation: Hostal in Aguas Calientes
Maximum Altitude: 4450masl
Minimum Altitude: 3900masl
Distance Travelled: 12 kms
Approximate Walking Time: 5-6 hours
Day 3: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Early wake up at 04:00 am and after breakfast we need to wait at the Bus Terminal to get our bus. The first Bus to Machupicchu depart at 5:30am ( 8Hrs in Machupicchu)
After 30 minutes of bus ride we are at the entrance of Machupicchu ready for our guided visit, 3 hours guided tour with our expert tour guide ,he will show and walk with you throught the most remarkable sectors areas, temples, residences, altars and he will offer a relevant history and archaeology informations.
After the guided tour you will have extra time to explore by yourself, going to the sun gate “Inti-Punku”, or walking to the Inca Bridge.
By 14:30 pm we board a bus down to Aguas Calientes for our Lunch.
At 16.45 pm we board our train return to Poroy train station ( 25 minute near Cusco). Private transport to Cusco (end of our service at Plaza Regocijo or San Francisco), return time at 21.00 Hrs approx
In high season sometimes we offer theTrain to Ollantaytambo and private transport to Cusco, return time at 21.00 Hrs approx .
What is Included:
- Collection from your hotels at approx 05:45 am
- Transfer in private vehicle to Tambomachay (starting point of the trek)
- 2 people per tents (tents are comfortable and spacious)
- Comfortable roll mattres
- Experienced english speaking guide
- Meal: 2 lunch 1 dinner 1 breakfast
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
- Chef and cooking equipment and kitchen tent
- Meals: 2 Breakfast, 3 lunches, 2 Dinners
- Horses (to carry tents, food, cooking equipment)
- 6 Kg personal porterage for your items
- Emergency horse
- Hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes
- Boiled water to fill in your bottle (and at lunch time if requested with enough time ahead)
- Private vehicle form Taucca or Lamay to Ollantaytambo
- Train from Ollantaytambo to AguasCalientes (Vistadome or Expedition)
- Reception at AguasCalientes and transfer to the Hostel
- Accommodation in Double private room
- Early bus up to Machupicchu from AguasCalientes
- Admission fee for Machu Picchu
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu on Day 3 and free time
- Bus down from Machupicchu to AguasCalientes
- Expedition Train return to Cusco or Train to Ollanta and bus to Cusco
- Transfer to your hotel.
What is not Included:
- Sleeping bag (you can hire for US$10)
- Breakfast on Day 1 and dinner on Day 3
- Drinks and snacks.
- Tips for your staff are not mandatory.
We recommend that you bring
- A backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
- Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Strong footwear, ideally trekking or sport shoes
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, fruits, muesli, etc.
- Flashlight and batteries
- Toilet paper
- Camera, film and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Hat to protect you from the sun, rain and cold
- Insect repellent, minimum recommended 20% DEET
- Sun bloc.
Private Service Prices
- 2 people : US$595 per person
- 3 people: US$495 per person
- 4 people : US$420 per person
- 5 people+ : US$395 per person
- Student Discount: US$20 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify)
- Sleeping Bag US$15
- Walking Pole US$5
- Inflatable Mattress US$10
- Single Tent Supplement US$25
- Extra 7kg of personal items US$40